Sunday, March 7, 2010

Special: If I Voted for the Oscars


I don't vote for the Oscars. As if you didn't know that. I will probably never vote for the Oscars, though I  wish someday I might have the career to allow me to do that. Plus I don't necessarily agree with all they have to stand for. I read a really good article from New York magazine (read it here) describing how the Oscars work, and how rather than giving the award to the "Best" they often give it to who would create the "Best Story Arc" or who's career deserves the award, rather than who actually was the best actor or actress. It's all part of the Hollywood schlitz and glitz, and even though I might not agree with it, it's how it works. So for tonight's event, I'm going to say who I would've picked. Not who I think is going to win, and not even a will win/should win thing. Who I would've voted for the big awards, if I picked soley based on what I saw and watched. 


BEST PICTURE:
"Avatar"



For me, this was the best movie going experience of the year. Maybe it's not the best film I saw (that would have to be either "Up" or "Precious") but it was the best film I watched that took me away to another place. I go to movies to get taken away and to forget about being in a movie theater, and for the three hours of "Avatar" I was on another planet, totally absorbed into what was happening. Best Picture of the year for sure. And I would also probably vote for James Cameron as Best Director too, for having the vision to do what he did here.





BEST ACTOR:
Colin Firth "A Single Man"


The most moving performance of the year. He was in every single scene, every moment, and he was always present in the heartbreak and pain the character was feeling. Just seeing him in "Mamma Mia!" and then this? Complete difference.



BEST ACTRESS:
Gabourey Sidibe "Precious"

This was her first movie? Ridiculous. I would've never guessed if I hadn't known. And to see her in real life, and how buoyant and bubbly and total opposite from Precious she is, she is a real actress.






BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Chrisoph Waltz "Inglouorious Basterds"


Terrifying and vicious, and gentle and funny. Waltz was crazy good in this movie. He brought a completely new take to the role of a villainous Nazi.






BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Mo'Nique "Precious"



I remember watching Mo'Nique on Showtime at the Apollo. Never did I think she had it in her to portray a role like this. Phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment