Monday, March 8, 2010

Snap Judgement: Oscars 2010

So they've come and gone. Thank goodness that's over. The Oscars are done, at least for now. I got asked a lot today "What did I think?" "Was I happy with who won?" And my answer: Meh. I couldn't feel any more ambivalent towards last night's show. Overall I enjoyed it. I thought Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were hysterical during the opening monologue, especially the joke that for their film debut, both Steve Martin and Gabourey Sidibe from Precious were born as poor black children. CLASSIC. And the note that Meryl Streep collects Hitler memorabilia. Because I know she does.

The show movie along at a fairly brisk pace, thanks to quick acceptance speeches, a very quick Death Montage of Applause-o-Meter which left out the likes of Bea Arthur and Farrah Fawcett, but left in Michael Jackson? Mmmkay. I thought the dance piece set to the Best Score nominees was a good idea and concept, and looked cool, but felt out of place at the Oscars, and the montage dedicated to Horror films seemed liked a random way to include "Twilight" and a couple other not-so-scary movies. The entire ceremony also lacked the element of surprise, with whoever was the front-runner going into the ceremony, winning the award. Where's the fun in that? I was totally hoping Gabourey Sidibe would beat both Sandra and Meryl because she had the most impressive performance for a debut this year, and she freakin' rocks. She's so sassy, and she looked fierce. But, IMO, she won anyways when Oprah told her how much she loved her on the stage of the Oscars and she started crying. Adorably cute. Plus her mom was there, and she was so into Steve Martin.

I wasn't super successful in predicting who would win. 13/23 correct. But not that it even matters, after all, the awards go to the most deserving career-wise (see Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges) or to the movie that has the most momentum going into the broadcast (i.e. "The Hurt Locker") and not necessarily to whatever actor gave an amazing performance or to the movie that is the best all around film of the year. Though, I am OK with "The Hurt Locker" winning. It was a very good movie. I liked it. It was suspenseful, but it wasn't my favorite, nor was it my pick to win. Everybody has different ideas of what's good though, and in the end, the movie that wins the most Oscars doesn't make it the best.

So it's all done. I look forward to next year, where I'll try to see all the nominees again. Because even though the whole thing is a big spectacle and I tend to disagree with a lot of it, I get to see some awesome movies that I might not otherwise be able to see. Thanks Oscars. Now come the summer blockbusters.


No comments:

Post a Comment