Monday, March 15, 2010

Review: Every Little Step (DVD)

If you know me you know that I love TV and movies. And even more so, you may know I especially love things on TV or in the movies that concern either Disney or musical theater. So any combination of those four things make me so excited. For example, a TV special about the filming of a Disney musical movie! Not that one of those exists (actually I'm pretty sure there is), but that's just an example.

Regardless, I love Broadway musicals. I'm sort of obsessed with them, with musical cast recordings on loop endlessly in my car (and we're not just talking "Wicked" or "Rent" here people, I go hardcore with "Follies" or classic with "Mame"), nevermind the fact I own many a musical move adaptation on DVD, something I touched on in my review of one of the latest, "Mamma Mia!" One of these movies I own is, unfortunately, "A Chorus Line" which, even though it's one of my all time favorite musicals, it goes into the category of "stage to screen adaptation that never should have been made in the first place." I'm sure I'll be reviewing it down the line, so I won't get into much detail other than I think the movie is just plain awful. It doesn't work, as the entire plot of the show is about an audition that takes place on stage within the two hours time of the show itself, which is all fine and good for a stage show, but boring as all get out for a movie. Haven't seen it? Don't bother, it will give you the wrong impression of a fantastic musical.

"Every Little Step" is a documentary that chronicles the the audition process for the 2006 "A Chorus Line" revival, so that in itself is a pretty meta concept: a movie about auditioning for a show that's about auditioning for a show. The documentarians gained exclusive access to what it's like to audition for Broadway, going into the audition rooms, call backs, final call backs - what the directors saw, what they thought about people, justifications for certain castings, angry actors, ecstatic actors - as a wannabe director myself, I found the whole process and look into it fascinating. I loved watching the people soar (like Jason Tam whose insanely good audition for the emotional character of Paul in the show made the director of the show AND me cry. His AUDITION!) And I cringed watching the people make fools of themselves (thanks Tyce Diorio, of "So You Think You Can Dance" judging fame who made an ass of himself during the audition being all cocky and then especially after he lost the part. As if I couldn't have hated him more after watching him on SYTYCD, but I do.)

I found myself caring for these actors, wanting them to get the part. They highlighted certain actors or actresses and kind of created character arcs for each of them in the documentary, with only one being able to triumph in the end. The doc follows the same themes of the musical, these dancers give it there all to the audition process - while we get to learn more about them, giving these faceless actors a story, and you care for them because you find out they might not be just another actor. They are a person with dreams, and it all hinges on this one audition. But whereas "A Chorus Line" is a musical, and not real, "Every Little Step" is real, with real people in a very real situation. It transcends the meaning of the show to a whole new level.

The doc also gives us insight to the creation of the musical itself, famously workshopped in New York, and based on the lives of real dancers who recorded their stories on tape with conceiver and director Michael Bennett in 1974. With clips from that audio tape, rare footage of Michael Bennett discussing the concept AND the original Broadway cast staging, interwoven through the film it makes this movie a truly extra special treat for fans of "A Chorus Line" and anybody who loves musical theater. I really just adored this movie, and think it's a must for any musical, Broadway, or theater geek like myself.


Patrick Approval Rating: 10/10


"Every Little Step" @ imdb

No comments:

Post a Comment