Friday, February 5, 2010

Revisiting: Julie & Julia (DVD)

I first saw "Julie & Julia" (or "Julia & Julie" - whatever. It's basically the same both ways) in September with Mallori in Florida. I wanted to see it soley because of Ms. Meryl Streep, but figured it was a rent on DVD movie. Which it kind of is, but that's besides the point. I really liked it, thought it was memorable, and laughed quite a bit during the movie. I didn't even hate the Amy Adams parts as much as everybody else, but of course, I liked the Streep as Julia Child sequences much better. Almost makes me wish the whole movie was about her, but it's not so I digress.

Upon second viewing, I liked the Julia half even more and the Julie half even less. What an unsympathetic and selfish character Julie is. I almost don't care if she succeeds in cooking all of Julia's recipes in a year because she's such a bitch about it. But I love Amy Adams, and she does good with what she has, but compared with the other half of the movie, the Julie part sucks. Julia on the other hand is a completely charming and endearing character, how can anybody not love her?! Streep is hilarious as Julia and you can tell she had a blast playing this crazy character, which allows the audience to have fun watching her. I caught myself smiling almost every time she's on screen, speaking in that loopy falsetto, which I imitate quite often. "Bon appetit!"

Another thing that excited me much more this time around was the presence of Jane Lynch as Julia's sister. I had seen just one episode of "Glee" when I watched the movie the first time around, and I had an appreciation of Jane Lynch, but now I have a well deserved obsession with Sue Sylvester and how she "C's it and so I love her in this movie way more the second time around.

So rent it. It's a good movie to cozy up to at home with a nice warm blanket, and maybe some popcorn. Because if you don't have something to munch on, you certainly will want to shove your face with food after watching it being cooked on screen for two hours. "Bon appetit!"


Patrick Approval Rating: 6/10 for the whole movie, 9/10 for Julie half.


"Julie & Julia" @ imdb

No comments:

Post a Comment