Friday, February 26, 2010

All Time Favorites: A League of Their Own

I've decided to slowly but surely attack some of my all time favorite movies on this blog to give the four readers a true taste of what movies I love and adore in a longer format with videos and quotes and all sorts of goodies. I know you're all wicked excited for this so let's get started. Why not start with a movie that's been a favorite of mine for a long time? In fact, I don't remember the first time I saw this movie I saw it so long ago. "A League of Their Own" was released way back in the olden days of 1992 when I had tracks shaved into my hair and wore big pants with elastic at the waist and ankles. How is this any different from today?

There are not many movies I can watch over and over and over again and still like them, let alone laugh at them, but "A League of Their Own" is one of those movies. Unlike the schlock her brother Gary directs, Penny Marshall is able to create a film here that not only looks appropriate for time period the film is set in (1940) as well as features contemporary humor, but has somehow created a film that doesn't appear to look dated by today's standards and still hold up in the funny department. To me, Marla Hooch is one the funniest characters in a movie I've ever seen. Kudos to actress Megan Cavanagh to creating a classic, homely as all get out character that makes me howl with laughter with her drunk rendition of "It Had to Be You" or her awkward shuffling/dancing in the mandatory etiquette classes all the girls have to take.

Though Cavanagh nearly steals the film for me, the entire cast is terrific. I can't believe Tom Hanks did this movie, "Philadelphia," and "Forrest Gump" in a row. Could he have taken three more different parts in a row? Not possible. His pissing scene in this is classic - never mind when he delivers the now infamous "There's no crying in baseball!" line. Perfection. And then there's Madonna! Can you believe Madonna is good in this movie? I am fan of her music for sure but as an actress she is much more of a miss than a hit. Tolerable and impressive in "Evita" sure, but she seems to shine in "A League of Their Own" in a supporting role as All the Way Mae. She should have taken more parts like this one. Rosie O'Donnell stars as Mae's best friend, Doris, and I think this movie might have been my first exposure to Rosie. She delivers some classic one liners in her Rosie fashion, and her and Madonna are a joy to watch together.


Geena Davis and Lori Petty are Dottie and Kit, respectively, and for those who haven't seen the movie, the characters whom the story follows for the most part. They are playing in a local women's league and working on their family farm when a scout (played by a hysterical Jon Lovitz who zings one zinger after another in this) shows up and recruits them for the new All American Girl Professional Baseball League. They of course, are accepted to the Rockford Peaches and go on a sisterly journey through one tumultuous season of baseball. The plot moves at a brisk pace, with no dull spots, and the baseball scenes are a thrill to watch. And even though as a youngster the ending of the movie always bothered me because (SPOILER ALERT) I wanted the Rockford Peaches to win the series, and they don't, but looking back on it now, I think it sets up for the perfect happy ending. Sidenote, how did they possibly cast a woman who looks so much like an older Geena Davis to play Old Dottie? It may be the best Old Person to Young Person casting I've ever seen in a movie. So much so, as a kid I thought it was Geena Davis in makeup. To make that more confusing to me though, they did dub the actress's voice with Geena Davis', so if nothing else it sounds just like her (because it is her!)

Old Geena Davis? Nope. Different actress, same voice, confusing children for 18 years.

Watching the movie just brings me total joy. It brings back memories from my youth playing baseball and how bad I was even though I liked playing it as well as memories of watching the movie with my brother and endlessly quoting it. Speaking of, here are some of my favorite quotes from the movie:


QUOTES:


Ernie Capadino: (to a salesman) You know, if I had your job, I'd kill myself! Wait here, I'll see if I can dig up a pistol. 



(Ernie seeing Dottie and Kit vigorously milking cows)
Ernie Capadino: Ow. Doesn't that hurt them? 
Dottie Hinson: Doesn't seem to. 
Ernie Capadino: Well, it would bruise the hell out of me. 
Dottie Hinson: Can I help you with something? 
Ernie Capadino: I'm Ernie Capadino. I'm a baseball scout. I saw you playing today. Not bad, not bad. You ever heard of Walter Harvey, makes Harvey bars - you know, the candy? 
Dottie Hinson: Yeah. We feed them to the cows when they're constipated. 
Ernie Capadino: That's the guy. He's starting a girls' baseball league, so he can make a buck while the boys are overseas. Wanna play? 
Dottie Hinson: Huh? 
Ernie Capadino: Nice retort. Tryouts are in Chicago. It's a real league, professional. 
Kit Keller: Professional - baseball? 
Ernie Capadino: Mmm-hmm. They'll pay you 75 dollars a week. 
Kit Keller: We only make 30 at the dairy. 
Ernie Capadino: Well then, this would be more, wouldn't it? 







Jimmy Dugan: Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! 















Mae Mordabito: What if at a key moment in the game my, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops!, my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right? 
Doris Murphy: You think there are men in this country who ain't seen your bosoms? 




(Mae is in confession; a thud is heard)
Doris Murphy: It's the second time he dropped that Bible since she's been in.
(Mae comes out, reverend looks shocked)
Doris Murphy: Mae. What did you say? 

Mae Mordabito: Everything. 




Charm School assistant: (The charm school teachers are inspecting each of the girls and they come to dowdy Marla Hooch.) What do you suggest? 
Charm School instructor: (repulsed) A lot of night games. 


One of my favorite moments and endlessly quotable lines in the movie. "Oh piss on your hat!"


The movie's anthem. Penned by Betty Spaghetti. Thanks girl!


Visit "A League of Their Own" at imdb.

1 comment:

  1. Old Dottie wasn't Geena Davis in awesome makeup???? MY MIND IF FREAKING BLOWN!!!!!!!!! Oh man, they totally tricked me with the voice dubbing.

    I feel like I may have heard this at some point in my life, but I blatantly refused to accept it - or google it.

    I need to go reexamine my entire life now. kthanksbye.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete