Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Review: Public Enemies (DVD)

I'm going to take this opportunity to discuss my theory on entertainment and how life syncs with it. I believe every movie, TV show, song, book - anything that you do or watch or read or see for enjoyment is linked to a certain time or memory in your life. You know, you always have that one song that brings you back to that one super awesome moment in your life where you were listening to it driving around in the car at 5AM. Or you have that TV show you watched and for the first time it dawned on you, "This is what TV can be!" But alas, for the purposes of the blog, I'm going to discuss movies but I think the sync-theory applies to all entertainment. It's just that sometimes you sync perfectly with a movie because of where you are watching it, who you are watching it with, what mood you're in, what place you are at in your own personal life and how the movie's themes tie into your own at the time. The experience of how you see a movie affects your enjoyment of it. For example, I may have joined the rest of the majority of Earth to think the movie "Deep Impact" is as awful as it truly is, but it was the first grown-up movie I saw without my parents and for that reason, watching that movie always brings me back to being a scared 12 year old with his best friend Kyle sitting in the crappy movie theater chowing down on popcorn and bawling like a baby when SPOILER ALERT everybody dies in the end. (Except for Leelee Sobieski. Thank goodness she was one of the few who lived. Leelee. For real, that's her name. How sad/awesome.)

That all being said I hated "Public Enemies," the movie I'm supposed to be reviewing here. Maybe in another time, another place, seeing this in the theater when it first came out, seeing it with friends - maybe I would've liked it. Certainly seems like it would be a good fit for me on paper, - Christian Bale (nevermind him as Batman, look for him in "Newsies" - duh,) Johnny Depp (who doesn't love him,) and Marion Cotillard (who over the past two years has become one of my favorite actresses.) I should've liked this movie. I was even waiting for it to come on my Netflix for weeks. Well it arrived January 12th and here we are, Feb. 3rd and I've put it on tonight because I've finally finished watching all of "Lost" before last night's premiere, and this DVD's been a burden holding up the rest of my queue and I needed to get rid of it. So I'm going into the movie not really wanting to watch it. I made myself a dinner during the course of the movie, a dinner I butchered due to my split concentration (a watery mac and cheese with baked beans in which I found pieces of the paper wrapping from the can in after I cooked it because I fought a lengthy battle with my new can opener to get the darn can open.) I had a half and half day at work (half good, half bad) and have my mind on other things. And I'm now writing this blog entry as the movie wraps up. It's been on for two hours, and I've maybe actually only watched 10 or so minutes combined. I tried. It didn't hold my attention. I can't even tell you the general plot.

So maybe I'll revisit "Public Enemies" someday. Maybe when it's on cable, maybe re-add it to my Netflix, or maybe I'll call it even and say "Public Enemies" and I are not meant to be.


Patrick Approval Rating: I didn't pay attention to enough of it to even care.


No comments:

Post a Comment