Saturday, April 10, 2010

Revisiting: Rat Race

The last time I saw this movie was probably shortly after it came out on DVD. DVD was still in its infancy then, and I clearly remember this being one of the very very first movies my family ever rented on the new format once we got our first new fangled DVD played. Not the first movie we rented, that was "The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea" naturally, but this movie might have been rented that same trip to the video store.

And back then I remembering LOVING "Rat Race" like it was the funniest thing that ever happened in the whole world. I even watched it twice that weekend because I couldn't get enough of it. I thought the situations were ridiculously awesome. Imagine - a billionaire sets up a crazy race for $2 million dollars and gives the keys to like seven or eight people - then all these crazy things happen to those people as they race for the money and the billionaire and his friends just sit back and watch and laugh. Nothing could ever EVER top the very Jewish Jon Lovitz mistaking the barbie museum to be about Barbies and not Nazis, as it actually was and then stealing Hitler's car! Or how about that scene where Seth Green and some no namey actor that went nowhere with his career went up the side of the tower at the airport - wait for it - in their truck! It was just too funny and since then I've thought this was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and has remained on the short list of movies I think of when I think of "comedy."

Well I don't know what could've happened in the nine years that I've last seen this but when I got the chance to record this on my DVR, and excitedly sat down with some popcorn to laugh I found myself utterly bored. And not just bored, I found this movie to have not held up well in the last nine years either. Maybe because a lot of movies have done the same sort of slapstick ridiculousness, or maybe because this was the tale of end of movies doing that, but I was sorely disappointed in the laughs I didn't laugh that I remembered laughing the first time. The bus headed for the "I Love Lucy" convention filled with Lucy's who would act just like Lucille Ball still amused me the most, but as time has gone on, and movies like "Boat Trip" and "Snow Dogs" have happened, I think Cuba Gooding Jr. has lost a lot of the mojo he had going into "Rat Race" and I found him almost unbearable to watch in this.

And poor Breckin Meyers and Amy Smart. Whatever happened to them? I think the 00's swallowed up a bunch of young actors that were supposed to be the next big thing and then spit them out somewhere far from Hollywood. They actually weren't awful to watch, but I had a lot of pity on their careers. And though I won't ruin the ending with who wins the race and the money or what happens to everybody, I will say these two words that happen at the end, two words that may have meant something back in 2001, but today make me wince: Smash. Mouth. Smash Mouth. The entire movie heads up Smash Mouth singing "All Star." Woooooooffffff.

Some parts of this movie, like the "I Love Lucy" bits or Rowan Atkinson's narcolepsy still make laugh, but even the killer line Jon Lovitz's daughter exclaims when she has to poop "I'm prairie dogging it!" - which I have sinced adopted into my own vocabulary - didn't have as much as a punch as it did the first time I saw the movie. Sigh. I wish I loved it as much as I did back then, but maybe I should've relied on those false memories of "Rat Race" instead of rewatching it now and spoiling the romance.


Patrick Approval Rating: 2001 Patrick - 10/10; 2010 Patrick - 5/10


"Rat Race" @ imdb

No comments:

Post a Comment