Thursday, April 8, 2010

Revisiting: The Princess and the Frog (DVD)

Shame on you America. Shame shame same. It's a shame more of you didn't see this movie. "The Princess and the Frog" was heralded as Disney's triumphant return to its roots of hand drawn animation, an art form that has all but died, and this was the movie that was going to change that. Well it's a shame that more people did not see this movie,  because it failed to live up to its promise. And not because it wasn't very good, because it was, but because I worry now that it didn't gross 100 billion dollars at the box office when it was released last November that the future of the return of hand drawn animation is in flux.

"The Princess and the Frog" really is quite a fantastic movie. Sure it's not as good as the classic classic Disney films like "Snow White" or "Pinnochio" or the newer second Golden Age films like "The Lion King" or "Beauty and the Beast" but it holds its own among animated films, and is pretty high up on the list of Disney animated features, in my opinion. And it's miles better than some of the animated dreck that has been shoved out by studios the past few years. 

If you don't know Disney and all things Disney hold a special place in my heart, and I can confidently say I'm obsessed with it. So when I heard about this film back when it was called "The Frog Princess" my expectations were high. I knew it was going to be fantastic. And when I saw it in theaters last November, it lived up to all my expectations and then some. I loved the modern fairy tale setting in 1920s jazzy New Orleans, and maybe wish that more of the movie takes place there than in a swamp, but it's all forgiveable. The characters blew me away. I loved the "princess" of the film, Tiana. Voiced by Anika Noni Rose (from "Dreamgirls"!) she is probably the sassiest and rivals Belle as the most flushed out princess of them all. I adored the "prince" Naveen, who is by far the best prince from a Disney film, not counting Aladdin. He had charisma and a personality and wasn't just a lovey dovey sap as other Disney princes are. Supporting characters Louis the trumpet playing alligator and Ray the Cajun firefly also add quite a bit of humor to the movie, and the delightful Mama Odie (which has to be said like MomMA OHdee to be said correctly) is one of the best cameo characters. 

Seeing the film again for the first time on DVD since its theatrical release I loved it just as much. It's beautiful to watch and funny and charming - everything a Disney film should be. I just can't wrap my head around why it didn't do very well in theaters. If only it weren't for those wretched Chipmunks and their lame Squeakqual than maybe "The Princess and the Frog" would've done better. 

Watching this movie on DVD also begins my attempt at watching and reviewing every Disney animated film before their new animated film, "Tangled" comes out this fall. That will be the 50th in their official canon, believe it or not, and I will attempt to revisit all of them including the elusive one I have never actually seen.


Patrick Approval Rating: 10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment